Thursday, June 5, 2014

4MINUTE Talks Of Challenges In 'Dazed'

 4minute01

CUBE Entertainment’s 4MINUTE is one talented girl group.

They debuted in 2009 with the hit track Hot Issue. They’ve gained a lot of fans worldwide through their addictive and catchy music. 4MINUTE is a powerful and influential group with the charms of the five ladies.

They started off 2014 with a March comeback asking, Whatcha Doin’ Today. They’ve tried out many different concepts, Gayoon and Jiyoon also had a sub-unit called 2YOON. HyunA, the icon of sexy released singles of her own and worked together with BEAST’s Hyunseung to form Trouble Maker.

The members got together for an interview with Dazed as they talked about their music video concepts, comebacks, HyunA’s fun skit with Rita Ora and many more topics!
There were so many crazy scenes in your most recent video “Whatcha Doin’ Today” – from from spanking twerking maids to boy-on-boy kisses. Which was your favourite?
Jihyun: The sunglasses scene. We were able to make more exaggerated expressions because our lips were the focus.
Gayoon: It was the sunglasses scene for me also. It was the first time 4Minute could add comical elements in a music video. It was fun shooting it and I laughed so hard when I watched it back.
Sohyun: The insane dancing scene. It was so much fun to shoot and it’s still fun to watch.
HyunA: We blended comical elements into the song and music video, so it was all fun. Definitely something fresh.
“Whatcha Doin’ Today” is about taking a break to have some fun. What would you do with 12 hours to do it in?
Jihyun: Hiking, cooking, stroll along the Han river, getting a Thai massage, to play with my pet. I really want to cycle along the beach!
Gayoon: I want to plan out everything ahead of time and do ordinary stuff like shopping or dining with no rush.
Sohyun: Taking lessons, and watching all the movies and TV shows I missed.
Jiyoon: I want to travel around.
HyunA: Mmm… maybe get a full rest at home or go out for delicious food.
4minute achieved music show wins from “Whatcha Doin’ Today” but how do you celebrate?
HyunA: Since we all like to eat, we had a good meal together.
Jihyun: We usually go for Korean BBQ with our staff and dancers.
Gayoon: And play fun games! Sohyun can party till late and is full of energy.
Jihyun: The party girl is Sohyun!
Sohyun: We’re all party girls!
What was the biggest challenge you faced personally in making you most recent mini-album 4minute World?
Jihyun: There was a time I had to record by myself because of the schedule in movie shooting. That was one lonely recording session.
Gayoon: Among all the challenges, it was the wardrobe as I was styling the group. The 2014 S/S pieces were hard to get in and out of Korea.
Sohyun: It was fun making the album but it was a bit upsetting that we couldn’t appear on many TV shows.
Jiyoon: I think there was some difficulty along the line of self-development.
HyunA: For me there was no big challenge since we had a meeting every day, which helped.
Jiyoon, your song for (Thai actor/singer) James Jirayu came out earlier this year. What do you want to achieve from writing?
Jiyoon: It was a great opportunity and an honour to work with him. I want to continue to write songs and would really like to produce an album.
Earlier this year you released the single “Only Gained Weight” – an upbeat song but with frank lyrics about eating and drinking to get through the pain of a breakup. Have you been through this before?
Jihyun: Yes! Of course.
Gayoon: The lyrics are realistic, so whoever listens to it will make them stop (eating and drinking too much). I’ve felt this way before, but it was a long time ago.
Sohyun: If you are a woman, they will get the song right away. I have an experience of only gaining weight.
Jiyoon: I always feel like I’m gaining weight!
HyunA: I found the lyrics interesting. But it was quite different from who I am.
HyunA, you did recently a skit for Funny Or Die with Rita Ora. What was that like?
HyunA: Rita has been one of my favourite singers and I was very excited to see her. After meeting her I like her even more! She took care of me by making me comfortable.
You’ve said you’re not that close to other groups outside of your label. Who would you like to get to know better?
Jihyun: I’d want to get to know someone who is older or is the same age as me.
Gayoon: I want to get to know all of them. All the artists go up on a stage at the end of a (music) show and if I am close with everyone, it won’t be awkward anymore.
Sohyun: I want to get close with people who want to get to know me.
A 4Minute reality show would be great. What kind of show could you see yourselves doing?
HyunA: We want to do it! We’d love to show the natural side of 4Minute.
Jihyun: I’d like to do a travel show where every member can show her charms!
Gayoon: I want to travel different countries with the girls where we can create memories and meet our fans.
Sohyun: Something around travelling or gourmet food.
Jiyoon: I’d like a traveling show as well.
Since you only do one comeback a year how much do you see each other when you’re not doing 4minute?
Jihyun: We have frequent get togethers.
Gayoon: We often see each other but we also have time on our own where we get lessons and rest, but I think when it comes to delicious foods, we tend to go together.
Sohyun: We get together a lot because it’s comfortable and we like that.
HyunA: I think it feels like we see each other every day. (laughs)
Your Stockholm and Barcelona showcases are done, so what’s planned next? Will there be more shows this year? Or a 2YOON comeback?
Gayoon: Nothing’s set. But we have a dream to hold concerts in various countries. Nothing is set for 2YOON as of yet, but I am sure there will be a time in the future where fans can see us once again.
Sohyun: I hope to hold a headlining concert in Korea.
Jiyoon: I’m also hoping for a 2YOON comeback!
You are a group in its sixth year – apart from the music, why have 4Minute have been able to continue with such strength?
Gayoon: Definitely teamwork. We have love for every album we make and the drive behind it all is our dream and passion.
Sohyun: We have each other’s back and what we enjoy multiplies when we are together.
HyunA: Plus we consolidated the style of 4Minute by experimenting with different sounds throughout the years.
Finally a random question: if you were a flavour of ice-cream, what flavour would you be, and why?
Gayoon: Mint Chocolate. It’s the favour people have the strongest love/hate for. I think I’m like that as well. I’m very clear on what I like and what I don’t like. So I have a lot of passion and interests in something that I like but I am negligent in something that I don’t like.
Sohyun: Strawberry. Tangy, yet sweet and also I don’t know when I will get the bite of a strawberry chunk. I want to define myself as a person with surprise and expectation.
Jiyoon: Chocolate. Just because it’s my favourite flavour!
HyunA: I don’t want to define myself with one flavour. I love variety like the 31 flavours from Baskin Robbins.

SOURCE: Dazed

0 comments:

Post a Comment